Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Bhindi Ki Kadhi / Okra in Yogurt Sauce

Lady's finger is a vegetable that is available throughout the year and you can make so many recipes with it. Today I am going to share with you a very simple recipe of Bhindi Kadhi. Okra / lady's finger is stir fried with mild spices before adding to whisked yogurt. I learnt this recipe from a Gujarati friend and surprisingly, it was easy and tasty too. This kadhi is very much different from the regular kadhi and definitely a healthier version of the recipe.

Ingredients:-
  • 300 gms okra /ladies finger / bhindi (chop the head and tail and cut in 1 inch pieces)
  • 2 green chillies (finely chopped) 
  • 2 cusp yogurt (whisked)
  • 2 tbsp coriander leaves (finely chopped)
  • 2 tbsp oil
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds
  • 1 tsp crushed red chillies
  • ½ tsp turmeric pdr
  • salt to taste
Method:-
  • Heat oil and add cumin seeds.
  • Saute and add okra. Mix well.
  • Add crushed red chillies, turmeric pdr, salt, green chillies and coriander leaves.
  • Cover and cook till done.
  • Keep aside till cool.
  • In a bowl, take yogurt and add the stir fried okra.
  • Mix well and serve with rice.
Notes:-
  • If you like, you may add a dash of lemon just before serving.
  • Add a tempering of mustard seeds and asafoetida on top of the prepared kadhi just before serving -OPTIONAL
  • You may add little water in curd and make the consistence of buttermilk, then add the okra stir fry and serve as bhindi ka raita.
Happy Cooking!!

Sending this to :- Cook With White announced at Merry Tummy and Vardhini's 30 Minute Meals and Healthy Diet event – Fat-Free Recipes, an event of Priya hosted by My Sri Lankan Recipes.



52 comments:

  1. I love bhindi and dahi with roti but never thought of making them together as one:) BINGO thats why I read your blog:)
    http://goodeatstostyle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. bhindi is my fav veggie and I love this dish too. Inspired by you I have started cooking too and a blog for that lol. I had posted one bhindi curry, if you wish you can check it out here,

    http://momadefood.wordpress.com/2013/09/28/aloo-bhindi-potato-okra-sabji/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks soo much Niranjan.. Wish you a lot of success in your new blog... Will definitely be around :-)

      Delete
  3. Great dish for okra! Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We too make something similar with okra only curry leaves is used but.
    Looks awesome..Nilu.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, an innovative recipe made with okra.... gud one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. my fav.,I can have this as snack.. So tasty ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kadhi is every ones fav.its really awesome and superb.Actually my MIL taught me how to do ....such type of kadhi.will try to post her method.
    Regards
    Shobas Delight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks soo much Shobha.. Would love to see you MIL'S version too.. Hugsxx

      Delete
  8. Its awesome and I am loving it. Another delicious dish to be tried out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. yumm, delicious looking dish.

    ReplyDelete
  10. bhindi is my fav too..who will say no to this kadhi...yummy Nilu..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Creamy goodness! love your picture Nilu :)
    http://kitchenista-welcometomykitchen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bhindi and kadhi both are my all time favorite, hence bhindi kadhi too is on top of the list..
    my mom has a litle different version of it....This one too looks yummy!!
    You must have guessed that i disappeared again...hope to be more regular now..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks soo much Pankti... Glad to see you back dear... Would love to try your Mom's version sometime.. Do post it dear... Hugsxx

      Delete
  13. Fingerlicking kadhi, love to enjoy with a bowl of rice.

    ReplyDelete
  14. love this dahi bhindi, delicious and healthy,....

    ReplyDelete
  15. I never knew okra was also known as lady fingers! Your dish looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. im sure i would b licking this dish as bth okra n curd r my fav..

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very different kadhi recipe, looks like a yummy combination!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have never tried this but it looks yummy, thanks for sharing dear.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks real yummy ! I love Okra in any form :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love okra but have never tried cooking them in yoghurt. Looks real tasty, Nilu! Hey, be sure to enter in my X'mas draw to Win Flenco Christmas Hampers Worth More Than $1,000!

    ReplyDelete
  21. A new & delicious kadhi................. very nice combo.
    "Happy Diwali" to you Nilu.
    shobha
    www.shobhapink.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Shobha.. Hope you enjoyed your Diwali dear.. Hugsxx

      Delete
  22. okra is not my fav. but your version looks yummy..I think I must give it a try now

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ooh this sounds delicious!

    www.makeupmonster.ie

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love ocra and I love yogurt, so I'm in culinary heaven wit your recipe.
    Would like to ask you for some advise as well: Sometimes it's very difficult for me to get ocra. Do you think it could be replaced by a similar veggie ?
    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks soo much Daniela.. Yes dear you may substitute okra for sauteed spinach / fenugreek.. Also you may use stirfried carrots / green beans / brinjals / potatoes.. Do try and let me know dear.. Hugsxx

      Delete

AddThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...