Sunday, October 13, 2013

Spooky Witches' Fingers - Home Baker's Challenge # 6



October is the month of Halloween and for the first time in my life I have made something creepy as this. This month's challenge for Home Bakers Challenge was announced by Nalini's Kitchen . She gave us four choices for Halloween  - chocolate glazed pumpkin cookies, spooky witch fingers, Halloween whoopie pies and ghostly cupcakes. 

I was really excited to make these unique and creative spooky witch fingers. They were quite simple, easy and delicious to make for such a realistic and impressive outcome. These spooky witch fingers, according to my husband were hilarious but a little more horrid at the same time. My son loved these frightful cookies especially when I was taking the pics - the whole dramatic blood and all.

On this note, I hope everyone has a scary (but safe) Halloween this year!

Ingredients:-
  • 2 ⅔ cups all-purpose flour 
  • 1 cup butter (at room temperature)
  • 1 cup icing sugar 
  • ¾ cup whole almonds
  • 1 egg  
  • 1 tsp almond extract 
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract  
  • 1 tsp baking powder  
  • 1 tsp salt 
Method:-  
  • Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.  
  • Line your cookie sheet with a parchment paper. 
  • Combine butter, sugar, egg, almond extract, and vanilla extract in a mixing bowl and beat well.
  • Gradually add flour, baking pdr, and salt. Beat well to form a soft dough.
  • Wrap in a cling film and refrigerate for 20 to 30 minutes.
  • Remove dough from refrigerator and scoop 1 heaped teaspoon at a time.
  • Roll the dough into a thin finger-shaped cookie. 
  • Press one almond into one end of each cookie to give the appearance of a long fingernail. 
  • Squeeze cookie near the tip and again near the center of each to give the impression of knuckles. You can also cut into the dough with a sharp knife at the same points to help give a more finger-like appearance. 
  • Arrange the shaped cookies on the baking sheets.  
  • Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 20-25 minutes or until the cookies are slightly golden in color.
Notes:-
  • For the eggless version use the same dough for Thumbprint Cookies  just omit the strawberry crush. 
  • If the almonds keep falling after you've baked them, Just add little jam and stick the almonds back to the fingers.

Happy Baking!!
 
Sending this to :- Sharanya's Let's Celebrate Halloween Event 

 5.11.13 - +Joerg Sterner  tried the spooky witches fingers I made for October Home baker's challenge... Thanks Joerg for sharing your feedback... God bless..  


58 comments:

  1. OMG! They are really spooky as you mentioned but gorgeous too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kids will love it, should try it for Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my....I got scared...lol....U have baked it beautifully:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to say that is spooky yet attractive and you sure have the talent to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely presentation nilu.........
    x❤x❤
    http://indianveggiesbhojan.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice version of the spooky witch finger cookies.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my! These definitely look spooky...the knife, especially, adds to the effect!!

      Delete
  7. Ee....that looks scary especially with that bleeding knife nearby

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thats scary really but i would eat that blind folded :p

    ReplyDelete
  9. So creative Nilu. Love love love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Everyone baking this and I am very tempted to bake now :-) Looks lovely Nilu

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are baked neat and presented in a neat way .
    Check out the event on my blog
    Theme" lets celebrate Halloween "
    http://justnotthecakes.blogspot.com/2013/10/event-announcement-lets-celebrate.html.

    ReplyDelete
  12. nice presentation , and really spooky fingers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow...u r v talented nilu <3
    yummy yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very creative! Scary at the same time ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow Nilu!! I saw so many witch fingers all the blogggers made but ur presentation is the best I should say.Love the knife idea and not going for blood on nails good job dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks soo much Meena.. Coming from you, It means a lot to me... Hugsxx

      Delete
  16. Delicious Spooky witch fingers love it Nilu.
    My new website Zesty South Indian Kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  17. Super spooky. I asked my hubby if he will eat if I make. The answer was no.... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Shella.. lols.. I'm sure all the hubbies found the whole concept weird ,-)

      Delete
  18. They came simply awesome and loved ur presentation,very spooky..

    ReplyDelete
  19. Really looks very spooky. Loved your presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great presentation with scary knipe for halloween :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Really spooky.. Perfectly made dear

    ReplyDelete
  22. Haha! these are so funny! I would like to try & make them!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Those are so fun for this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they sure are Alissa.. Thanks for stopping by dear :-)

      Delete
  24. Couldnt take my eyes off it. Scary but attractive. Good job dear :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great job Nilu ! looks so perfect ! got me spooked :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. They look really spooky, Nilu and I'm sure they taste great too!
    Very cute idea.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ugh...they really do look creepy. And funny, lol! I bet they taste great though.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This looks really spooky dear. Perfectly baked spooky witches fingers :)

    on going event @my space - Healthy Diet - Fat Free Recipes
    www.mysrilankanrecipe.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Really spooky..so funny! I would like to try & make them! Perfectly made dear <3

    ReplyDelete
  30. Nice clicks, they really look spooky..

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Nilu, your spooky cookies look so cute. You're very creative and got lots of patience. Very impressive!

    Have a lovely week ahead,regards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks soo much Amelia... Have a great week dear.. Hugsxx

      Delete

AddThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...