Thursday, November 21, 2013

Vegetable Dalia Upma - A Diabetic Awareness Post

Diabetes
Swathi had invited me to write a post on diabetic awareness. Unfortunately, I had some internet issues and then my son went down with viral fever..  Sorry for the delay Swathi Iyer. Hence, I dedicate this post to raising diabetic awareness and trying to make a difference for those living with diabetes.

Diabetes is a never-ending condition.  This means that it lasts for a long time, often for someone's whole life. For our bodies to work properly we need to convert glucose (sugar) from food into energy. A hormone called insulin is important for the conversion of glucose into energy. There are two major types of diabetes called type 1 and type 2. Diabetes that occurs temporarily during pregnancy is called gestational diabetes.  Most common symptoms include- a history of blurred vision, itchiness, nerve damage, repeated vaginal infections, and tiredness.

My Father-In-Law and Father had diabetes and my Mother-In-Law is also diabetic. My father-in-law used to take 1 tsp fenugreek seeds soaked overnight in a cup of water to keep his diabetes in control. My Mother-in-law eats less rice, more vegetables, moderate fat food, black tea without sugar and includes greens and bitter gourds a lot in her diet.

The most important thing you should do is to lose weight which can help you lower your blood sugar, blood pressure and cholesterol levels very much.  Small lifestyle changes such as a well –balanced diet and a regular exercise can help manage the blood glucose levels without further complications. Before you plan a fitness regime for yourself, it is a must to get your doctor’s approval on it, especially if you’ve been inactive for long. Measure your blood glucose levels more frequently. Avoid eating sweet foods. Eat more of low-carb foods. Eat more frequent meals with smaller quantities to beat hunger. Also drink lots of water because the best way of getting rid of excess sugar is through urine.

Some people believe that eating fruit is healthy for diabetes. Of course, fruit is a healthy food as it contains fiber and lots of vitamins, minerals and carbohydrates. But you should consult your doctor about which fruits are right for you, the quantity to be eaten and also how often can you eat them.

Dalia or broken wheat is a healthy choice if you are on a diabetes diet. It is an excellent source of fiber and low in fat which is why it is mostly recommended food by dieticians too. This upma is definitely tasty, flavorful and nutritious for an early morning breakfast. 

Ingredients:-
  • 1 cup broken wheat / dalia
  • 1 carrot (peeled and chopped)
  • 7-8 french beans (stringed and chopped)
  • 2 green chillies (finely chopped)
  • handful of green peas
  • 1 onion (finely chopped)
  • 1 inch piece ginger (shredded)
  • 1 tbsp oil
  • ½ tsp mustard seeds
  • 1 tsp split & skinned black gram / urad dal
  • 1 tsp split Bengal gram / chana dal
  • few curry leaves
  • pinch of asafoetida
  • salt to taste
Method:-
  • Heat oil in a wok.
  • Add mustard seeds, curry leaves, urad dal, chana dal and asafoetida.
  • Add onions, green chillies, ginger, carrot and french beans. Saute for 2 minutes.
  • Add 3 cups water, green peas and salt.
  • When water starts boiling, add the dalia. Mix well and simmer.
  • After 5 minutes, mix lightly and simmer for another 5 minutes.
  • Garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
Notes:-
  • You may avoid adding vegetables and make the upma plain if you want. 

48 comments:

  1. this is so healthy for diabetic diet :) nice recipe nilu

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to try this ingredient, as I'm not too familiar with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do try it dear.. You will love it plus it is really good for health and a filling breakfast indeed :-)

      Delete
  3. Healthy upma dear........nice click.take care of ur son too....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very healthy and delicious one pot meal for breakfast...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Healthy and tasty upma..great write up of diabetics very informative.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was wondering where you were and you came back with a bang...
    Hope the little one is better now. Take care..
    This is a very healthy recipe!!
    Thanks for all the useful information...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks soo much Pankti... Umu has gone to school today after a 5 day break... Although his cough hasn't subsided till now.. Hope he gets better soon... Hugsxx

      Delete
  7. I eat upma for breakfast . It's so healthy and delicious
    I am inviting you to join my $30 certificate giveaway
    http://www.beingbeautifulandpretty.com/2013/11/dressale-30-certificate-giveaway.html?m=0
    Keep in touch,
    www.beingbeautifulandpretty.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. that's a really healthy upma... dalia is one of the important carbos in a diabetic diet...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Nilu for such lovely entry, am glad you linked for my event. Dalia upma looks fab :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Arthy.. Glad you liked it dear :-)

      Delete
  10. Hi Nilu,

    I came here in the morning and saw your post. Liked it so much that I prepared it on the spot and came back to tell you that it was really tasty. I followed the same recipe except that I added little cumin seeds. Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Nandoo... Thanks soo much for your kind words and the feedback... Means a lot to me... Glad you liked the recipe dear.. Loved the addition of cumin.. I'm sure it must have given a lovely flavour to the upma.. Will definitely add cumin to the recipe next time I make it... Have a great day dear.. Hugsxx

      Delete
  11. Great post, Nilu ~ a good initiative to bring awareness :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. very informative write up Nilu ! I love broken wheat upma,it's a regular dish at home....love ur version,healthy and yum !

    ReplyDelete
  13. This its great review and helpful I have family and friends with this disease will definitely share the recipe thank you hope your son doing well. New post up glasses review.
    http://tifi11.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Jackie.. Yes, he's doing much better now.. Hugsxx

      Delete
  14. Hi Nilu! :)

    Good to see your blog. Your recipes look delightful. I like dalia ever since I got introduced to it and I love the upma from it. Would love to try your recipe soon :) Thanks for sharing. Good initiative!

    Kismitoffeebar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks soo much dear... Hope to see you around :-)

      Delete
  15. Hi Nilu,
    Loved the upma.. Looks healthy n delicious.. .

    ReplyDelete
  16. healthy upma...looks delicious.........

    ReplyDelete
  17. thanks for the recipe Nilu, my father is diabetic but so far quite controlled although it still has its bad days and good days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks soo much Nammi.. Wish your father a long, healthy and happy life ahead.. Hugsxx

      Delete
  18. Delicious upma, in fact I like this better than the one with regular sooji..

    ReplyDelete
  19. Diabetes may be never ending but with a well balance and carefully thought diet, it can be kept under control. My other half have been doing a good job so far, mainly as said, its about the right diet. Will definitely try your healthy and great version of dalia for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Nava.. A right and balanced diet definitely works great... Many people have the misconception that diabetes means just not eating sweets... I hope Your husband the best of health always.. Thanks soo much for your valuable feedback dear.. Hugsxx

      Delete
  20. Thank you for this interesting and useful information Nilu.
    I have several friends who suffer from Diabetes and became aware of this problem and the importance of prevention through them.
    Your recipe looks amazing with all these delicious spices!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Nilu,
    Yummy looking upma.Finally I was able to come here.Glad the trouble is over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Meena.. Soo happy to see you here... You were right, I did remove some apps and it worked... Thanks soo much for being there always... Hugsxx

      Delete
  22. Thanks Nilu, for creating a delicious recipe and helping me to create diabetic awareness. I will pin it this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks soo much for the invite Swathi and that too for such a wonderful cause.. I'm glad to be a part of it... Hugsxx

      Delete

AddThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...