Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Baked Macaroni & Vegetable Delight


Today I made baked macaroni with vegetables. It is one of the most easiest recipes which can be served as a side dish as well as a main dish. Whenever I ask my son what does he want for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, without much delay the answer is the same every time ‘Macaroni or Pasta or Pizza’. I just don't understand the why kids are so fascinated with such kind of food.  In order to please him (well, I agree to bribe him seems more appropriate here) to study well for his upcoming term exams, I decided to make a different and healthier version of macaroni. This baked macaroni dish has all the delightful ingredients to make it one of your favorite: lots of veggies, herbs and the yummy cheesy white sauce. What I love most about it is that it is healthy as well as delicious at the same time. It is a perfect dish for kids lunch box as it is a complete meal in itself.

Ingredients:-

  • 2 cups mixed frozen vegetables
  • 2 cups milk 
  • 1 cup boiled macaroni
  • ½ cup cheddar cheese (grated)
  • ½ cup water
  • 4 tbsp butter
  • 3 tbsp all purpose flour
  • 1 tsp black pepper pdr
  • ½ tsp dried oregano
  • ½ tsp dried basil
  • salt to taste
  • few coriander leaves (chopped)
  • cheddar cheese for topping (grated)
Method:-
  • Heat butter in a saucepan. 
  • Add all purpose flour and saute for a minute. 
  • Switch off the flame and add salt, pepper pdr, oregano, basil, milk and water.
  • Mix well and keep on flame. Stir for a minute and add cheese.
  • Cook till well mixed. The consistency of sauce should not be thick, it should be like a sauce.
  • Switch off as soon as it starts to boil.
  • Add frozen vegetables, macaroni, coriander leaves and mix well.
  • Transfer the mixture to the baking dish. 
  • Spread cheddar cheese on top.
  • Pre-heat the oven for 180 degrees Celsius.
  • Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 20 minutes.
Notes:-
  • You may add little tomato sauce to the macaroni if you like.
  • You may use boiled vegetables instead of frozen ones (green peas, potatoes, cauliflower, carrot, broad beans, corn etc)
  • For the non-veg version, marinate chicken 2-3 chicken breast, with salt, pepper pdr, mustard pdr / paste, wostershire sauce and vinegar. Pan fry in 2 tbsp oil for 10 - 12 minutes, You may either shred the chicken or cut into chunks as per your liking.. Add the chicken to the macaroni.
Happy Cooking!!



80 comments:

  1. Wow!!! It's my all-time favorite baked dish... Lovely use of veggies to make a healthier version :)Didn't u add sugar in making of white sauce??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks soo much Shruti.. I never add sugar to white sauce.. Have a great day dear :-)

      Delete
  2. Perfect yaa...........Love the cheese toppings.....



    x❤x❤
    http://indianveggiesbhojan.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Delicious and lovely! Sure does look like a delight! ;) http://www.rita-bose-cooking.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dont know y i dont like macaroni but ur dish looks so tasty. Will try this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks soo much Megha.. Do try it dear.. You will love it for sure :-)

      Delete
  5. You know i love baked macaroni with cheese!! You are tempting me to go off my diet :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks soo much Pankti... It's alright to indulge in such foods one in a while dear.. And I'm sure Zini would love it.. Have a great day dear.. Hugsxx

      Delete
  6. To be honest, we are not much into such a dish. It has nothing to do with the taste, just that we prefer rice mostly. That said, its a lovely baked dish with lotsa of cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice Recipe. I love cheddar cheese , probably i'll add more cheddar,spice it up with Jalepenos and try out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect n super delicious Nilu.. Can't resist drooling here.. that cheese spread on top.. Aah Bliss indeed

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super delicious dear, my kids all time fav...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks so balanced and comforting,perfect for monsoons

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome...I love these baked macaroni dishes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. yummy macaroni.... thanks for stopping in my space..

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's easy & must be delicious! So lovely Nilu

    ReplyDelete
  14. chessy veggie macaroni....yummy!!!!!!!!


    On going event Julie's Flavors of cuisines - "Turkish"

    ReplyDelete
  15. Super yummy ! This makes me so hungry :) thanks for sharing this lovely recipe dear

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am a big pasta lover..But my family doesn't like...especially white coloured...Anyway I will try it...Super dish.........

    http://shaainscooknotes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wau!! Macroni in itz baked version...wonderful. Looks so yummy n delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. its looks so tempting, forget about kids, even grown ups can eat it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely recipe Nilu. Thanks for linking it... :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. its lovely dish with lots of cheese..love the recipe....

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great recipe, I would love this macaroni and vegetables:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. This looks like something my kids would love. I like the ingredient list a lot myself!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Delicious Macaroni Nilu.. My all time favourite..

    ReplyDelete
  24. This looks really tasty, thankyou for sending it to Lets cook with cheese event.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Nayna.. Glad you liked it dear :-)

      Delete
  25. Wat a fantastic way to sneak both macaronis and vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
  26. oh mine that is so creamy and rich baked platter

    ReplyDelete
  27. wow very Delicious cheesy baked macaroni :) adding veggie makes it more healthy and kids will sure love them :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Delicious baked macroni Nilu I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Yes, easy but absolutely loved by everyone here. thanks for reminding of the dish.

    ReplyDelete
  30. My boys love pasta like crazy and that is what they eat 5 days a week. I am for anything cheese too especially if it is baked. I love the ooey gooey cheese on top of your dish...makes me want to dig in with a big spoon in my hands.

    ReplyDelete
  31. subhanallah, yummy :9




    visit: www.rizkyboncell.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Nilu, very nice baked macaroni, look appetizing. Usually we make macaroni soup yet to try bake version. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

    Regards.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Lovely cheesy vegetables...thank you for linkning it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Amrita.. Glad you liked it :-)

      Delete
  34. Looks yummy dear ! We spend so much of time concocting delicious dishes but our kids always prefer simple pasta dishes ! wonder what is it with kids and pasta :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Kids favorite and the baked macaroni looks fabulous and mouthwatering dear :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. What a recipe Nilu,I really love your preparation style and every minute detail you give.i was dead busy in working 12 hr shhift for over a month.unable to cook anything for time being.but your recipe inspired me so go to kitchen again.have to start checking all your post I missed so far.love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Padmini... Glad to see you back dear.. Really missed you.. Thanks for visiting dear.. Hugsxx

      Delete

AddThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...