Thursday, August 29, 2013

Creamy Coconut Milk & Rice Pudding

We are a family obsessed with sweets. And literally crave for some at least once in three days. Yesterday night, I made this quick dessert on an impulse when hubby dearest expressed his desire to eat something sweet. I looked around my kitchen cabinets and found a can of coconut milk. Immediately I thought of making this simple yet rich and delicious dessert - Coconut rice pudding.

There are many people I know who don't like the taste of coconut at all. I've always loved coconut. In fact, my favorite ice-cream flavor is none other than 'tender coconut'. Seeing my love for coconut, my Mom used to always tease me that I was destined to marry a South Indian for sure. Coconuts is used much in South Indian cooking, from gravies, to curries, to chutneys and desserts. I just love the aroma of freshly grated coconut.

This amazing desert felt like a sweet comfort food for our souls with its rich and creamy texture and the flavors of cinnamon and vanilla in it. It is absolutely worth a try.

Ingredients:-
  • ½ litre milk
  • 200 ml coconut milk 
  • 50 gms dessicated coconut
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup sugar
  • ½ cup rice flour
  • ½ tsp vanilla essence
  • ½ tsp raisins
  • ¼ tsp cinnamon pdr
Method:-
  • Heat milk along with sugar and ½ cup water on slow flame. Keep stirring occasionally.
  • Meanwhile in a bowl, take coconut milk, eggs, vanilla essence, cinnamon pdr and beat well.
  • Add rice flour and beat again till mixed well.
  • When the milk boils.
  • Add the milk gradually to the batter and beat again so that it is well mix and doesn't curdle.
  • Transfer to the bowl again and cook on slow flame stirring continuously til thick for about 8-10 minutes.
  • Add dessicated coconut (Keep little aside for garnishing) and mix well.
  • Switch off the flame.
  • Remove in serving bowls and garnish with dessicated coconut and raisins.
Notes:-
  • You can also use cooked and mashed rice instead of rice pdr.
Happy Cooking!! 

 




76 comments:

  1. looks so creamy and rich with flavours...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dessert looks lovely and the coconut flavor sounds wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahan!!! My mum's specialty :) Now you've shared a recipe so would like to try by my own :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!! Its about coconut and milk for an amazing and delicious outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. BEAUTIFUL DESSERT,LOOKS SO BRIGHT,LOVED THE ADDITION OF COCONUT :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Simply loved the recipe.. Looks so delicious Nilu :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoa!! This is mind blowing!! Hubby and i too have a bad case of sweet tooth, and this surely fits the bill!! Thanks for sharing, Nilu!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely nilu.. Loved the creamy texture of the pudding.. Coconut milk induces awesome flavor.. :) pudding looks rich!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have to admit, I dont like very much the taste of the coconut, but I ve never tasted coconut milk!! I 'd like to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks soo much Eleanna.. Just avoid adding dessicated coconuts.. Rest procedure is the same.. It will be more of a rice pudding if you do that but you will surely love it dear :-)

      Delete
  10. very delicious and creamy dear, really rich pudding...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good recipe . Thank u for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love coconut...soo yummy..would love to try

    my recent one :http://beautyndbest.com/2013/08/29/sleek-i-divine-original-palette-reviewswatches-n-eotd/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks so delicious Nilu... I also love cocnut milk based desserts so looks my types!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Rice pudding is my fav. dessert but never tried making with coconut milk. looks so creamy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. thats an very deliicous vegan pudding looks super yumm and creamy dear !!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks so delicious, love the coconut flavor..

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow..super yummy dessert...lovely idea to add coconut milk nilu...got to try sometime

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow!! love it, looks too tempting!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. desserts cant say no this..Very delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  20. looking yummy...very creamy.....

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am also obsess with sweets.. Love your coconut milk pudding.. Mouthwatering..

    ReplyDelete
  22. Pudding looks fabulous and super creamy.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Haven't tasted this so far and this promises to be a delicious sweet.Can we make without use of egg?
    I have also a weakness for anything made from coconut

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried the eggless one.. But try replacing the egg with quarter cup grated paneer or condensed milk.. Thanks soo much for stopping by :-)

      Delete
  24. Looks tempting, a nice & new kind of kheer :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have a big sweet tooth and I'd love to have this...looks simply amazing !

    ReplyDelete
  26. This looks DELICIOUS..I've never tried this version, anything with coconut and I'm game.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Simple dish but you have given a special touch to it...thanks for linking it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Amrita.. Glad you liked it dear :-)

      Delete
  28. Hi Nilu, this is awesome and very flavorful. Anything with coconut is my favorite. :))
    Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe.

    Best regards.

    ReplyDelete
  29. silky beautiful pudding!!! thanks for linking this to my event..

    Sowmya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Sowmya.. Glad you liked it dear :-)

      Delete
  30. I love coconut with anything dear. Love this simple yet delicious dessert :)

    ReplyDelete

AddThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...