Thursday, September 12, 2013

Spinach Cheddar Muffins - Home Baker's Challenge # 5

This month's challenge for Home Bakers Challenge was announced by Shama Of Easy 2 Cook Recipes. She gave us six choices - vegetable muffins, banana coconut crumps, banana nut muffins, honey drizzled semolina cake, pumpkin coffee cake and spinach cheddar muffins.

I always wanted to bake a savory muffin. But somehow kept delaying it. This seemed like a perfect opportunity to do so. And I was really excited to try the spinach cheddar muffins.

I love the taste of spinach, color, flavor and nutritional value. These are very simple to bake muffins which are quite tasty and healthy too. I made slight changes to the original recipe as it was very mild and also because I used fresh spinach instead of frozen. I made these muffins on a Sunday morning for breakfast and immediately fell in love with these delicious muffins. My hubby declared that I should these muffins at least once a month. 

Ingredients:-
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 onion (finely chopped) 
  • 1¼ cups all purpose flour
  • 1 cup spinach (finely chopped) 
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • 1 cup cheddar cheese (shredded)
  • 3 tbsp butter
  • 2 tsp baking pdr
  • 1 tsp red chilli pdr  
  • ½ tsp baking soda
  • ½ tsp salt
Method:-
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease the muffin cups.
  • Heat butter in a wok and add onion. Saute for a minute. Add spinach and cook till water evaporates. Keep aside to cool.
  • Sieve altogether flour, red chilli pdr, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Keep aside.
  • In a mixing bowl, beat eggs. Add milk and flour alternately and keep on beating.
  • Add cheddar cheese and spinach and beat until evenly blended.  
  • Spoon about 2 tablespoons into each muffin cup. 
  • Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 25 - 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
 Notes:-
  • You may use ½ cup frozen spinach (thawed, drained and squeezed dry) 
  • You may also use cottage cheese instead of cheddar cheese or half cottage and half cheddar cheese as you like.
Happy Baking!!! 


52 comments:

  1. A must try muffin. Looks so perfect and must be delicious!

    today's post:
    http://sanolisrecipies.blogspot.in/2013/09/corn-peas-tikki.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love yur muffins. One of the savoury ones :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always preferred savory muffins. Wonderful combo of spinach and cheese for a tempting outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spinach cheddar muffins looks yummy. Very healthy too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those muffins looks extremely delicious and highly inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. muffins looks awesome Nilu. well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These muffins dunked in hot corn chowder, oh so yumm....

    ReplyDelete
  8. looks so delicious. Drooling here :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Spinach and cheddar? Now you're talking my language! Delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. muffins have come out super perfect and delicious looking dear !! so inviting !!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yummy muffins with cheddar and spinach, Nilu.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Savoury muffins are my favourite..perfectly baked dear..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Possible to parcel me a few?? ;) Lovely ones...

    Follow me @ www.cookingwithsj.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Shruti.. Come over dear I'll make some for you.. Hugsxx

      Delete
  14. This muffins look so delicious ! bookmarked !

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooo... this looks so yum! I cannot ignore recipes with cheddar cheese. Saving this one for future use.

    ReplyDelete
  16. perfect for spice lovers n nicely done vth good combo.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Delicious and healthy muffins. looks perfect with tea.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow presentation Nilu. Will surely try this!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks so tasty. I love spinach in everything, especially with cheese. Interesting mix of chili powder to add some spice.

    ReplyDelete
  20. they look yummy ! I've never tried savory muffins till date...will try this out !

    ReplyDelete
  21. Super healthy muffins. Kids will love this.. :) Going to give a try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Nilu, that's a lovely and healthy muffin. Great to go with coffee. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

    best regards.

    ReplyDelete

AddThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...