Monday, June 3, 2013

Cabbage Poriyal / Cabbage Stir Fry

Cabbage is a good source of fiber and very low in calories. It is also rich in iodine which is very important for healthy, normal functioning of the brain and nervous system. It is an excellent source of vitamin C to boost the immunity system. It is good for asthma, bronchitis, and other respiratory disorders as it detoxifies the lungs. Hence, we should try to include cabbage at least once a week in our daily diet. This simple yet healthy and nutritious recipe is one of my favourites. It is very easy and quick to prepare too and served as a side dish to chapathi's.

Ingredients:-
  • 600 gms cabbage (shredded)
  • 2 onions (sliced)
  • 6 dry red chillies 
  • 2 tbsp oil
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds / zeera
  • ½ tsp onion seeds / kalonji
  • ½ tsp ginger-garlic paste
  • ½ tsp red chilli powder
  • ½ tsp all spice powder / garam masala powder 
  • ¼ tsp turmeric powder 
  • ¼ tsp fenugreek seeds / methi dana
  • few curry leaves
  • salt to taste
Method:-
  • Heat oil in a wok.
  • Add to it onion seeds, fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds, red chillies and curry leaves. Stir well.
  • Add onions and saute till transparent.
  • Add ginger-garlic paste, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, salt, all spice powder and 2 tbsp of water.
  • Saute till oil seperates.
  • Add cabbage and mix well. 
  • Add 2 - 3 tbsp of water and simmer till done.
  • Serve hot with chapathi's
Notes:-
  • You may add 1 tbsp grated coconut along with cabbage.
  • You may add green chillies instead of dry red ones, but add them with the onions.
  • You may avoid adding ginger-garlic paste if you want.
Happy Cooking!!

56 comments:

  1. Cabbage stir fry looks yummy. Addition of ginger garlic paste is new to me..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Delicious and healthy! :)
    http://www.rita-bose-cooking.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. cabbage poriyal is one of my favorite ..Nilu.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ha ha what a coincidence, i made beans poriyal day before yest :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lols.. off to see your beans poriyal Guru.. Thanks soo much for stopping by :-)

      Delete
  5. simple yet Delicious

    Ongoing Giveaway:- http://preetyskitchen.blogspot.com/2013/06/my-first-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its a must for most of our dishes, paired with any Indian foods.

    ReplyDelete
  7. adding ginger garlic paste in poriyal is new to me.. guess it add some nice flavor..ll try this one day :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good recipe for health lover nilu... :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just made this recipe yesterday Nilu :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. cabbage stir fry looks yummy and delicious Nilu.

    http://indianfoodnest.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds really good Nilu. Bit different from the way we do stir fries here - But I like the way you do it :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks yum and very healthy too!
    I kinda have a special likeness for cabbage poriyal with creamy curd rice. I dunno, somehow I find it very tasty with this combo especially when the poriyal is spicy!
    Also onion seed is a nice addition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks soo much Pavithra.. I never tried it with curd rice though.. But I'm sure it would taste great :-)

      Delete
  13. Nilu, I just love this stir fry dear..very yummy looking

    ReplyDelete
  14. simple yet delicious and healthy stir fry...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice one Nilu :) Looks delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. looks yummy.. il show dis to mom :D

    You are welcome to visit my First Blog Sale hosted on Facebook page. I'm selling New Items at one-third price as on websites For Indian Residents Only.

    Participate in my International Giveaway Each winner can choose her jewelry from Persunmall

    Love
    Akanksha

    ReplyDelete
  17. A quick stir fried cabbage is always a savior on hot humid days for me. Lovely recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  18. loved this stirfry we add a bit of coconut too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Divya.. Addition of coconut sounds too good dear :-)

      Delete
  19. I love cabbage, in Poland it is a traditional food :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love cabbage. I could seriously eat it every day. Unfortunately, I am the only one in my house who likes it, so it's only a special treat when I get it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The stir fry looks yummy!!! ginger garlic paste must be adding a great flavor to it!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. thank u for visiting my space Nilu - u have a nice lil blog as well ...keep going ............good wishes to u :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Simple, quick, & delicious recipe.
    shobha
    www.shobhapink.blospot.in

    ReplyDelete

AddThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...