Saturday, May 4, 2013

Mutton Stew With Potatoes



I’m sure we all make stews at home but each one of us has a different recipe for it. This dish is so easy to make and very simple yet flavorful.  This is mildly spiced and I love it with steaming hot rice.  I learnt this dish from my Mom.  Actually, I altered the recipe a bit. 

My Mom’s cooking method in stew is slightly different. She takes all the ingredients and puts them altogether in the pressure cooker excluding the potatoes and water. When the meat is almost done, she opens the cooker and sautes well till oil separates the masala and onions are well mixed (not to be seen at all). Then she adds, potatoes and little hot water and cooks on simmer till done.

When she first taught me this recipe, I thought it is the easiest to prepare. But when it comes to sautéing well to mix the onions, I still don’t know where I go wrong or why it doesn’t work out for me. After lots of trial and errors, I changed my method of cooking with the same ingredients of course. But still, I miss the taste and aroma when she prepares this stew. This is the first thing I always want her to make for me, Whenever I’m in Mumbai.

Ingredients:-

  • ½  kg. meat (medium sized cubes)
  • 2 tbsp oil 
  • 2 - 3 large onions (sliced) 
  • 3 - 4 button dried red chillies 
  • 5 - 6 black pepper
  • 1 tsp all spice pdr 
  • 1 tsp cumin pdr 
  • 1 tbsp coriander pdr
  • 1 tbsp green chillies paste
  • 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste 
  • 2 tbsp yoghurt (whisked )
  • 3 potatoes (cut in wedges) 
  • salt to taste 
Method:-
  • Heat oil in a pressure cooker, add the onions and fry till golden brown.
  • Add the meat and ginger garlic paste. 
  • Saute till the meat changes its colour.
  • Add whole dried red chillies, cumin pdr, all spice pdr, black peppers, coriander pdr, green chillies, salt and yoghurt.  
  • Cook on slow flame till oil seperates.  
  • Add potatoes and 2 cups water 
  • Pressure cook for 1 whistle. 
  • Serve hot with Rice or Chapathis.
Notes:-
  • You may substitute mutton for chicken but then cook on simmer flame in a wok till chicken is done. Do not put chicken in pressure cooker.
  • You may omit potatoes in the recipe if you wish. 
Happy Blogging!!

 

27 comments:

  1. I saw the usage of potatoes with mutton in some other blog couple of weeks back, so now looking at yours, I guess - this combo is not new, but just that I'm not aware of its usage being a vegetarian I guess, HeHe!!
    The stew looks good and the potatoes are actually adding a dominant look to the stew, a nice combination with plain rice! I also like the kadai, gives the nice rural look to the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh! Just bought mutton to be cooked tomorrow and now I see this recipe of yours. Great handout of recipe from your mum. Whether its your mum's version or yours, I bet both are fabulous. Adore the thick gravy floating inside the soft mutton pieces. Now I am going to say no to rice and dip toasted bread slices for the stew.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This recipe looks rally delicious make me hungry right now.
    I saved the link of your blog because you have really great recipes.
    Now I´m following you in FB and GFC
    I hope your fllow me abck

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot dear.. Off to your blog now :-)

      Delete
  4. Lovely clicks and loved your bowl!!!
    It looks sooo tempting, I think, i'll have try it without Mutton

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sooo much Pankti.. Your comment means a lot to me dear :-)

      Delete
  5. Your Mutton Stew with Potatoes looks so good and definitely comfort food. I love recipes that are passed down from a generation to another. It's not easy to find Mutton, but sure we have lamb. Hope the flavors will come out similar. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow awesome Recipe Nilu..Happy Sunday :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Radha.. Happy Sunday to you too dear :-)

      Delete
  7. Delicious mutton stew. I think both of yours and mum methods are works well. will give a try for sure. Thanks for sharing Nilu.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Nilu...this is my kind of stew! With big potatoes and lots of gravy. It looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi. Mom's have years of experience and sometimes it's hard to pick those skills, have patience, one day you will learn the original method too.
    Thanks for sending it to Cook Like Mom.

    SPECIAL May Event, COOK LIKE MOM + International Giveaway

    May Event, ‘ONLY’ Frozen & Chilled Desserts + Cookbook Giveaway

    FOODELICIOUS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes dear.. Wish some day even I would get at least 10% of her skills. Thanks a lot for stopping by Pari :-)

      Delete
  10. This recipe looks really yummy! Thanks for sharing this.
    Modular Kitchen Collection

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Nilu,
    looks yummy....I have a suggestion.do not add coriander powder and cumin powder...the taste will be entirely different..add coconut milk...check my chicken recipe..Hope u didn't felt bad....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey thanks for your suggestion dear.. I have had the mutton stew cooked in coconut milk.. My friend from Kerala used to make it.. Yes! it was yummy but I do prefer the simple & authentic version from my Mom.. Do try it out... Thanks for stopping by :-)

      Delete

AddThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...