A good Pav Bhaji depends on the quality of masala used in it. I always used to make Pav Bhaji with Everest Pav Bhaji Masala until my dear sister 'S' shared this recipe with me a year back. And ever since it's been no looking back to the store bought ones. This homemade masala is so fragrant and flavorful and does make a lot of difference adding this instead of readymade powders to your food.. I also use this masala instead of garam masala in pulao's and stir fries sometimes to spice them up.
Ingredients:-
- 18 - 20 kashmiri red chillies (kashmiri akhi lal mirch)
- 5 tbsp coriander seeds (akha dhania)
- 2 tbsp cumin seeds (zeera)
- 1 tbsp all spice powder (garam masala powder)
- 1 tbsp pepper corns (kali mirch)
- 1 tbsp dry mango powder (amchur)
- 1 tsp thymol seeds (ajwain)
- 1 tsp mustard seeds (rai)
- 1 tsp fennel seeds (saunf)
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder (haldi powder)
- 4 bay leaves (tezpatta)
- Roast chillies and coriander seeds on a pan for a minute. Keep stirring continuously.
- Then add all the ingredients (except turmeric powder, dry mango powder and all spice powder) in a wok.
- Roast well for a minute stirring continuously.
- Cool and grind to a fine powder along with turmeric powder, dry mango powder and all spice powder.
- Store in a clean and dry jar.
- Kashmiri dry red chillies are less spicy and widely known for the vibrant red color they give to the food when added. You may substitute kashmiri chillies with the regular dried ones but then use just 12 -15 chillies. You will get the same taste but the colour will be slightly dull.
- This masala can be stored for approximately a month.
Happy Cooking!!
Sending this entry to :- Easy to Prepare in 15 minutes and Taste Of The Tropics - Turmeric & Chef Mireille's Global Creations














You are right nothing can beat homemade masala. Nice recipe
ReplyDeleteNice blog. Keep cooking!
ReplyDeleteThanks a lot Niranjan :-)
Deletehomemade is always the best, good one.
ReplyDeleteThanks a lot Sona :-)
DeleteI don't think I've even eaten anything with masala in it, let alone made it.
ReplyDeleteGood 1 nilu... I've never made homemade spices... shud start it soon...
ReplyDeleteThanks a lot Rafeeda.. I'm sure you will love the homemade aromatic masalas more than the store brought ones dear :-)
DeleteEven we use the Everest one but home made is the best.:)
ReplyDeleteThank you for stopping by my blog and following :)
ReplyDeletei follow you back in GFC
let me know if we can follow in bloglovin as well :)
My blog - Giveaway dose
Thanks a lot Prerana :-)
Deleteglad to see the exuberant earthly colors of the masala, i'm gonna try this,
ReplyDeleteis this the same thing we use for vada pav's as well Nilu
Thanks soo much Guru.. Never tried using it in vada pav.. Another one of my favorite snack.. Will definitely try next time :-)
Deletei never liked the store bought one..bookmarked this..next time i'll make this while preparing pav bhaji..thanks nilu for sharing..
ReplyDeleteThanks soo much Tina :-)
DeleteYou're blog is so informative, I don't really cook, or should I say I don't cook haha. I'll bookmark this blog for some instructional on cooking or doing some foodies, I need to now :)
ReplyDeleteBtw, you might want to join on my first ever blog giveaway brought to you bu Oasap! Enter the contest here lovely http://queenlytan.blogspot.com/2013/05/international-blog-giveaway-oasap.html
<3
Thanks a lot for stopping by Queenly :-)
Deletehomemade pav bhaji masala rocks.
ReplyDeleteThanks a lot Deeksha :-)
DeleteInteresting!
ReplyDeleteThanks dear :-)
DeleteHave to agree that this is will be perfect to be made and used for my recipes. Nice combo of ingredients and will splatter a fabulous taste.
ReplyDeleteThanks soo much Nava :-)
DeleteOh I wish I could try that out!
ReplyDeleteInviting you to join my Oasap international giveaway here http://eljovenlector.blogspot.com/2013/05/raisie-speaks-x-oasap-may-giveaway.html
Thanks for stopping by Raisa :-)
DeleteThank you Nilu for sharing the recipe... :)
ReplyDeleteVery iuseful post..love the colour and flavor of the masala..thanks for sharing it.
ReplyDeleteThanks a lot Vidya :-)
DeleteWow Thanks dear Will try this soon :)
ReplyDeleteMouth watering :)
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing it :)
Mahnoorshaul
Thanks a lot Mahnoor :-)
DeleteI am of the belief that there is nothing like home made masalas. The vibrant colour of your pav bhaji masala surely is a sign that its aromatic too.
ReplyDeleteyou have a such cute blog ;D
ReplyDeletetake part to OASAP GIVEAWAY IN MY BLOG
Inspired by Fashion
Thanks a lot for stopping by Elle :-)
DeleteThanks for dropping by Curry and Comfort... and I am enjoying looking around your site. :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by Ramona :-)
DeleteI like the idea of adding pav bhaji masala in stir fries
ReplyDeleteThanks a lot Meena :-)
Deletethis is something i am planning to make from long time...we had a get to gether yesterday and loved my friend's pav bajji/...bookmarking nilu
ReplyDeleteThat is a perfect mix of spices!! Love the look and color of it!! I'm sure this one can give Everest its run for money :-)
ReplyDeleteYou can start packaging and selling this in local supermarkets, Im sure people will flock for anything homemade and that too which can stay for longer period of time :-)
Love it.
Thanks soo much Pavithra for your kind and encouraging words ever.. You've made my gloomy Sunday bright.. Tonns of huggs to you dear xxxx
DeleteThanks for sharing the recipe.. Home made powders are always fresh and the best..
ReplyDeleteThanks a lot Nithya :-)
DeleteNilu,thanks a ton for sharing this,I've been looking for this recipe for a long time:)...I always prefer homemade masala to store bought ones...loos awesome !
ReplyDeleteThanks soo much Reni.. Do try it dear.. It's really flavourful :-)
DeleteVery useful recipe Nilu. Thanks for sharing dear.
ReplyDeleteThanks soo much Neela :-)
DeleteMind blowing... home made pav bhaji masala are just awesome as you said... :)
ReplyDeleteThanks a lot Nabanita :-)
DeleteI was looking for this for a long time. Thanks for sharing this recipe.
ReplyDeleteThanks a lot Debasmita :-)
DeleteThanks for sharing, I just made a batch yesterday and felt the masala was lacking something (used EVEREST). Now will def try yours
ReplyDeleteThanks soo much Rachna.. Do try it dear.. You will surely love it :-)
DeleteWow, thanks for sharing this recipe Nilu!! And you are so right, the taste depends a lot on masala..My mom buys special masala for me from Ahmedabad!!
ReplyDeleteThanks a lot Nilu for sharing this recipe..
ReplyDeleteThanks a lot dear :-)
Deletewonderful! thanks a lot for the recipe! any replacements for the amchur pls?
ReplyDeleteIf you do not have amchur, you can replace it with little chat masala and add little more lemon juice while making pav bhaji to balance the taste.. Thanks a lot Nitya :-)
Deletedoes this taste same as store baught pav bhaji masala, everest for example? honestly, I do not want everest's taste in my pav bhaji..thanks..
ReplyDeleteIt's not exactly like everest masala but if you ask me.. I like it much more than that.. Do try for yourself and let me know... Thanks a lot for stopping by.. Have a great day :-)
DeleteBookmarking this as I have been looking for a homemade pavbhaji masala recipe for a long time -the colour looks so inviting!
ReplyDeleteThanks soo much Rajani.. Do try it dear.. You will never go for the readymade masala I promise :-)
DeleteI want to try this...Good recipe..specially those on spices
ReplyDelete