I love pound cakes. Today, I made Vanilla pound cake for breakfast. It is the best cakes I've ever come across. It is very rich and creamy, but still feels light when you eat it.
This is the first cake I learned from my Mom. She used to bake it in a pressure cooker when we were kids. And I always felt my Mom was a magician. To me, she was perfect and I always looked up to her thinking "Wish I get at least quarter of her wisdom when I grow up". There was nothing I believed that my Mom cannot do and I still stand by that thought. I always used to come running from school to my Mom and ask, "Mumma, my friends favourite flavour is strawberry. She will come home tomorrow. Will you make strawberry cake for her?" And the answer was always, "Yes beta, why not ?" No matter how tedious her job was, No matter how busy she was or no matter how tired she was! She would always say YES with a smile on her face. Cooking as I though earlier was not my cup of tea, but it was her encouragement, patience and love that made me into what I am today. I cannot thank her enough for whatever she has done for me. Today's post is dedicated to her for the number of times I still don't remember she made this cake for me and my friends. Love u mumma!
Coming back to the recipe... This is a basic recipe that everyone should have coz it's really simple to make and can be made with different variation of flavours from the same recipe. I definitely recommend this cake to all those who haven't tried their hands at baking. Go bake it for yourself and see the results.
Ingredients :-
This is the first cake I learned from my Mom. She used to bake it in a pressure cooker when we were kids. And I always felt my Mom was a magician. To me, she was perfect and I always looked up to her thinking "Wish I get at least quarter of her wisdom when I grow up". There was nothing I believed that my Mom cannot do and I still stand by that thought. I always used to come running from school to my Mom and ask, "Mumma, my friends favourite flavour is strawberry. She will come home tomorrow. Will you make strawberry cake for her?" And the answer was always, "Yes beta, why not ?" No matter how tedious her job was, No matter how busy she was or no matter how tired she was! She would always say YES with a smile on her face. Cooking as I though earlier was not my cup of tea, but it was her encouragement, patience and love that made me into what I am today. I cannot thank her enough for whatever she has done for me. Today's post is dedicated to her for the number of times I still don't remember she made this cake for me and my friends. Love u mumma!
Coming back to the recipe... This is a basic recipe that everyone should have coz it's really simple to make and can be made with different variation of flavours from the same recipe. I definitely recommend this cake to all those who haven't tried their hands at baking. Go bake it for yourself and see the results.
Ingredients :-
- 1½ cups flour / maida
- ½ cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar (grind to pdr)
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- 2 tsp baking pdr
- ¾ cup milk
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Grease and dust an 8 inch baking tin and keep aside.
- Sieve together flour and baking pdr and keep aside.
- Beat the butter and gradually keep on adding sugar while beating till batter is fluffy and well mixed.
- Add vanilla essence and beat again.
- Then add one-third of the flour and beat again.
- Add one egg and beat well.
- Add half of the milk and beat well.
- Again add one-third of the flour and beat again.
- Add the other egg and beat till well mixed.
- Then stop beating and add the remaining flour and milk and fold lightly in clock-wise direction with the help of a spatula.
- Pour the mixture in the baking tin.
- Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 45-50 minutes.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Cut in slices and serve.
- Use all the ingredients at room temperature.
- You may substitute vanilla essence for your favourite flavourings (For ex- add strawberry essence and few drops of pink colour or pineapple essence and few drops of yellow colour). You can use any of your favourite flavour.
- Insert a toothpick in the center of the cake. It should come out clean, with no batter clinging to it. Then your cake is done or else you need to bake for a few more minutes.
Happy Cooking!!
Sending this entry to :- Sweets & Dessert Event @ MJ Delights and Love For Mum & Jagrutis Celebrate Love For Mum and Bake Fest # 19 & Vardhini's Bake Fest and Story telling with food event by The Big Sweet Tooth and Foodelicious Cook Like Mom Event
















So true nilu..Mother's are so special..BTW I would like to have a piece of your cake.pls pass it through he blogger window :-)
ReplyDeleteThanks a lot Nisha.. Come over dear.. I will bake a whole cake for you :-)
DeleteHee hee,so sweet of u just like vanilla pound cake :-)
DeleteAww.. Thanks so much Nisha :-)
Deleteperfect cake, Nilu !
ReplyDeletedelicious cake!
ReplyDeleteThanks a lot Sona :-)
Deletecake looks perfect...
ReplyDeleteThanks a lot Rani :-)
Deletethat's a beautiful post nilu... now that my mom is on and off with me, i struggle to make my basic curries taste like hers... nothing can beat their cooking!!! the cake looks soft, and i wish i could have cake for breakfast just like u did... hehe...
ReplyDeleteSo true dear... Nothing can beat Mom's cooking.. Thanks a lot Rafeeda :-)
Deletewoderful cake!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteNilu,some things just bring a flood of memory that we can even recollect the exact taste.
ReplyDeleteBtw cake for breakfast! ur family must be really happy:)
Yes dear they were delighted.. Thanks a lot Meena :-)
DeleteLoved reading through Nilu and now I miss my mom :( that is such a easy recipe. Thanks for sharing :)
ReplyDeleteNobody can take a mother's place in your life, right Rekha.. Thanks a lot dear :-)
DeleteThats nice one :-)
ReplyDeleteLovely lovely cake and nice post...
ReplyDeleteYum yum. Loved the cake but i ll skip the eggs :)
ReplyDeleteYou can use 4 tbsp buttermilk instead of eggs in this recipe Megha :-)
DeleteNice cake. looks yumm
ReplyDeleteThanks a lot Chitra :-)
DeleteYummy yummy... Love this cake:)
ReplyDeletelooks so soft and moist...
ReplyDeleteThanks a lot Saranya :-)
DeleteGood post .delicious cake
ReplyDeleteNice writeup.Looks delicious.
ReplyDeleteCake looks delicious...will try making it your way...:)
ReplyDeleteThanks a lot Puja.. Do try it dear.. I'm sure you will love it :-)
DeleteTurned out fabulous and so good. Just need a slice of it now with my coffee.
ReplyDeleteThanks a lot Nava :-)
DeleteLoved the nostalgic writing about your mother, very true!!
ReplyDeleteAlso about the pound cake - it is one of my favorites too.
They are very simple, yet rich. It can give the cheese cakes run for their money any day!
Your cake looks fluffy , soft and just perfect. Good one, Nilu! Love it.
Thanks so much Pavithra :-)
DeleteShd try your way once . Thanks for stopping by my space .. Between you said you are a new blogger .. Your blog doesn't look like new .. I mean you have soo many recipes , so many awards .. Keep going .. Glad to follow youI am a new blogger too ..
ReplyDeleteThanks a lot dear.. My blog competed just one month.. Thanks to all my lovely friends and all your comments that motivates me and helps me to do good..Keep visiting dear :-)
DeletePound cake looks lovely and you have beautifully written about your mother
ReplyDeleteThanks a lot dear :-)
DeleteMom's cooking is always best.. Loved your soft and fluffy cake..
ReplyDeleteThanks a lot Nithya.. Agree with you on that :-)
Deletevery very yummy cake dear... always spl. for mom... nice...
ReplyDeleteThanks a lot Viji :-)
Deletelooks so perfect and Delicious Nilu....
ReplyDeleteDelicious and perfect cake.
ReplyDeleteThanks a lot Shailaja :-)
Deletelooks soo soft n yummy cake..
ReplyDeleteThanks a lot Divya :-)
Deleteu've made me miss my mom :)wonderful cake !
ReplyDeleteThanks so much Reni :-)
DeleteLovely pound cake. Looks very perfect Nilu.
ReplyDeleteThanks a lot Dhanish :-)
DeleteLovely cake, looks so nice and spongy, moms are like that..
ReplyDeleteThanks a lot Hema.. Yes you're right dear :-)
DeleteHi Nilu thanks for dropping by at my blog...you have a nice blog ..I love cookies and will try your recipe of cinn cookie soon. And yes..Moms are best
ReplyDeleteThanks a lot Deepi.. Do try them dear.. I'm sure you will love those cookies :-)
DeleteLovely cake , soft and moist
ReplyDeletehttp://www.followfoodiee.com/
Wow...what a wonderful base cake dear...
ReplyDeletelook so soft and perfect..yumm
ReplyDeleteI haven't made a vanilla pound cake yet *hanging head in shame* :(
ReplyDeleteBut i think with your foolproof recipe i will try my hand at it...Thanks for sharing...
Hey Pankti.. There are soo many awesome recipes in your site which I have never ever tried before. So we're equals here sweety.. And do try this dear.. I'd say go for it.. Hugsxx
DeleteYummy :)
ReplyDeletecan you share the egg less version of it :P
You can use 4 tbsp buttermilk instead of eggs in this recipe Rajani for the eggless version.. Thanks for stopping by dear :-)
DeleteMy all time favorite, and loved reading your childhood memories.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sending it to my events.
SPECIAL May Event, COOK LIKE MOM + International Giveaway
May Event, ‘ONLY’ Frozen & Chilled Desserts + Cookbook Giveaway
FOODELICIOUS
Thanks a lot Pari.. Loved the events.. Will try to link in a few more recipes :-)
DeleteLovely and lovely to hear about ur mom :) Thanks for linking this entry in my event Celebrate Love for Mum
ReplyDeletehello, how much is half cup of butter in grams..? thanks in advance
ReplyDeleteSorry for the late reply dear.. Half cup of butter is 100 grams.. Hope this helps :-)
Delete