Monday, May 13, 2013

Curd Rice

Curd rice is a very common South Indian dish prepared in almost each and every house hold. When I was a kid, one of my Aunt used to give us curd rice by just mixing curds and rice. I don't know why but I hated it then. My MIL taught me to make curd rice this way. She always eats curd rice after lunch and says it is good for digestion. Curd rice is such a comfort food for me especially on lazy days in summer. A plate full of simple curd rice with a good pickle to go with it. It is a divine meal for me and I love this combo.

Ingredients:- 
  • 1 cup rice
  • 2 cups yogurt
  • ¾ cup milk
  • salt to taste 
Method:-
  • Pressure cook rice along with 3 cups water and salt.
  • Mash it while it is still hot.
  • When rice is cool, add yogurt and milk. 
  • Mix well and keep aside.
Ingredients for tempering:-
  • 1 tbsp oil 
  • ½ tsp mustard seeds
  • 1 - 2 green chillies (finely chopped)
  • 1 tsp. black gram (urad dal)
  • 1 sprig curry leaves
  • 1 tsp ginger (crushed)
Method:-
  • Heat oil in a pan.
  • Add all the ingredients for tempering.
  • Stir well.
  • Add this to the rice and mix thoroughly.
  • Keep in refrigerator for at least 10 minutes before serving.
  • Serve with your favorite pickle.
Notes:-
  • You may avoid ginger in tempering if you wish.
  • You may also use dry red chillies instead of green chillies in the tempering.
  • You may also add ½ tsp chana dal in the tempering (Thanks for the suggestion Pavithra )
  • You may add grated carrots to curd rice if you wish.
  • Before serving, if you find the curd rice is too thick, add some water, milk or curd to it and mix well.







57 comments:

  1. Very comforting recipe and my fav:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to try this one! It's easy and I like the ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Must have recipe for this hot summers Nilu :) Nice clicks dear

    ReplyDelete
  4. comforting food for this summer..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I make it a bit less runny with even more Masala

    any which way, it tastes great

    ReplyDelete
  6. very comforting and very good for this hot summer...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also enjoy this comforting and soothing curd rice. Another of my fav is curd and rice, therefore both together is heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am not big fan of curd rice, but my hubby is.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree, this is comfort food to me too :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. love this comfort food :) looks yumm :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks delicious! :)
    http://www.rita-bose-cooking.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Megha.. I'm sure you will love it :-)

      Delete
  13. easy one pot meal...looks yummy!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nothing gives a best hand than this many times

    ReplyDelete
  15. My all time favorite!!
    I only need a tad of pickle by the side and I can eat this all day. Even when Im sick, all I crave for is this humble rice. MY mom adds a little channa dal while tempering.
    Looks perfect, Nilu!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Pavithra.. Chana dal in tempering seems a good idea.. Will try it next time for sure :-)

      Delete
  16. Hi Nilu cooling off in the summer heat eh!:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Simple yet delicious .Thanks for sending it to lets cook rice event.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really don't feel too good, n this curd rice is so tempting....surely will ease my troubles

    ReplyDelete
  19. thank u for visiting my space, Nilu . And this is a perfect comfort food:-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is new to me! But really easy na!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Heena .. Do try it.. You will love it for sure :-)

      Delete
  21. this called comfort food..good for summer and upset stomach

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Roobi.. Thanks for stopping by dear :-)

      Delete
  22. I love Tadke waala curd rice!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Awesome Summer coolers thanks for sharing this with my Fooabulous Fest event.
    Ongoing events on Simply Tadka

    Winner's Choice Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wonderful curd rice with awesome explanation, thanks for the link-up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Arthy.. Lovely event dear.. Will try to link up a few more if possible dear :-)

      Delete
  25. delicious and very comforting rice... we generally add seasoning to it to increase flavor... Thanks for sending this yummy recipe to my event.. Looking for more yummy recipes...

    Sowmya
    Event - Authentic Indian Sweets w giveaway
    Event - Kid's delight - Sweet Treats
    Event - WTML w giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lovely and its one of the coolest recipe fed by my mom and my grandma when i was child :):) Thanks for linking this entry in my event Celebrate Love for Mum

    ReplyDelete

AddThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...