Idli is a common breakfast for all South Indians. Although idli's do take a preparation process of a day in advance, rava idlis are quick to prepare. Rava idli is a specialty of Karnataka and my favorite too. I usually always buy MTR rava idli mix and make as per the packet instructions. But this time, on my visit to Mysore, I learnt this recipe from my MIL. Loved these idlis and now I decided no more rava idli mix. From now onwards, I will prepare rava idli at home.The best part of making these rava idlis is that there is no soaking, grinding or fermenting process. In fact, you can just prepare these in a whim. They are quick and easy to prepare. These idlis are really a life-saver especially during the hustles of early morning breakfasts.
Ingredients:-
Notes:-Ingredients:-
- 1 cup rava / semolina
- 1 cup yogurt / curds
- 1½ tsp oil
- 1 tsp chana dal / bengal gram (soaked in water)
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp eno fruit salt
- 10-12 curry leaves (chopped)
- 2 cashews (chopped)
- 1 green chilli (finely chopped)
- few coriander leaves (finely chopped)
- salt to taste
- Dry roast the rava on slow flame until a nice aroma comes.
- In a pan, heat oil, add chana dal. Saute and remove when color changes.
- In the same oil, add cashew and remove when slight golden.
- Then add curry leaves and remove
- Lastly add mustard seeds and let them splutter.
- Add all this to the rava along with the remaining oil.
- Add coriander leaves and green chillies.
- Add yogurt and mix well.
- Add salt and eno fruit salt and mix well.
- Immediately pour the batter into greased idli moulds.
- Steam for 10-12 minutes.
- Serve hot along with coconut chutney.
- If you find the batter is too thick, add 1 or 2 tbsp of water.
- You may also add grated cabbage or carrots to the batter.
Happy Cooking!!
Sending this entry to:- Love For Mum & Jagrutis Celebrate Love For Mum and Foodelicious Cook Like Mom Event













Hi Nilu, love rava idlis. Thanks for visiting my site. I am following you here.
ReplyDeleteThanks a lot Sebeena :-)
DeletePerfect when we end with easy menu choices nilu
ReplyDeleteYes Divya.. Instant recipes are a boon.. Thanks for stopping by dear :-)
DeleteRava idli looks so soft,Nilu.
ReplyDeleteThanks a lot Meena :-)
DeleteWow!! This looks easy and tasty!! I'll surely try this Nilu!! Thanks for sharing..
ReplyDeleteThanks a lot Pankti :-)
DeleteI will make it whenever I feel to eat this idli this is my fav :) Nilu
ReplyDeleteThanks a lot Radha :-)
DeleteOMG.. this is my lunch hour, so you can understand how hungry I am? And after seeing these delicious recipe I can't wait to eat this....
ReplyDeleteLols.. Glad you liked it Roobi.. Thanks for stopping by dear :-)
DeleteAnything quick is prepare is my kind of recipe. I am always rushing for time. Again, this lovely steamed idli will be perfect for my other's dinner, served with some spiced up chutney or sambar.
ReplyDeletegud and healthy, yummy too, thanks for sharing Nilu :)
ReplyDeleteThanks a lot Guru :-)
DeleteWow, incredible Rava idli recipe. I'm going make this for breakfast tomorrow.
ReplyDeleteThanks soo much Dhanish :-)
DeleteSoft , delicate and yummy ! I can bet this about these idlis, lovely!
ReplyDeleteThanks a lot Sapana :-)
DeleteLooks great. thank you for sharing this dear.:)
ReplyDeleteEasy, Tasty and healthy breakfast dish. The idlis have come come out perfect!
ReplyDeletesound good!
ReplyDeleteThanks a lot Sonia :-)
DeleteMy bestie's mom makes these.. They are so yum!
ReplyDeleteThanks a lot Heena :-)
DeleteLovely and yummy rava idli..
ReplyDeleteYummy idlis, my favorite
ReplyDeleteThanks a lot Priya :-)
Deleteso different than the foods we normally eat! I am enjoying your recipes!
ReplyDeleteI am your newest follower
Thanks a lot Annmarie :-)
DeleteMmm I would surely liked to try these!!! I like the ingredients & I m curious with the combinations!
ReplyDeleteThanks a lot Eleanna :-)
Deletelooks wonderful deliciously done
ReplyDeleteThanks a lot Akheela :-)
Deletei have tried these they are absolutely soft and taste delicious.
ReplyDeleteThanks a lot for stopping by Meena :-)
DeleteEasy, quick and tasty idli..
ReplyDeletei love rava idli...looks more soft and very quick..
ReplyDeleteHaa, that is the spirit, no more MTR!! I wish I could say that too :-)
ReplyDeleteLove the rava idli, the texture is perfect and the pores are very inviting!!
Addition of yogurt really gives the perfect taste in any rava based recipe, be it rava dosa or any other!!
I can eat this idli without side dish, love it!!
Thanks soo much Pavithra.. Do try it dear.. It is very quick and easy to make too :-)
DeleteWow...I am tempted to try this...thanks for you visit to my blog... happy to follow you...
ReplyDeleteThanks a lot Sindhu.. Do try it dear.. You will love it :-)
DeleteLooks very good!! Very tasty :)
ReplyDeleteThanks a lot Minnie :-)
DeleteI love idlis.. making me hungry.
ReplyDeleteThanks a lot Shobha :-)
DeleteYou make my mouth watering, yum.
ReplyDeleteThanks a lot Bob :-)
Deletemy mom makes this for me. will try ur recipe too. lovely click!
ReplyDeleteThanks a lot Megha :-)
Deletei have not tried making rava idli...i love this
ReplyDeleteThanks a lot Arthy :-)
DeleteLove these Instant Idlies
ReplyDeletehttp://www.followfoodiee.com/
Thanks for sharing this useful recipe dear.
ReplyDeleteRead: http://indianfoodnest.blogspot.com/2013/05/egg-fry-recipe-anda-poriyal-recipe.html
Thanks a lot for stopping by Neela :-)
Deletelooks perfect...my daughter loves these idlis :)
ReplyDeleteThanks a lot Reni :-)
DeleteRava Idli made at home is better any day. Thanks for linking.
ReplyDeleteFOODELICIOUS
Join Me This Month MayEvent - 'ONLY' Chilled & Frozen Desserts+ Cookbook Giveaway
COOKING LIKE MOM & INTERNATIONAL GIVEAWAY
Lovely and good one :) Thanks for linking this entry in my event Celebrate Love for Mum
ReplyDeleteThanks soo much Achu :-)
Deleterava idli mix is one of mine best delicious dish.Easy to make and healthy.
ReplyDelete